Khoresh (خورش): different Iranian stews
Khoresh : semantic meaning
Khorech (or khoresh; in Persian: خورش) literally means “Stew” in Persian. The word Khorech is a noun of the verb خوردن (xordan which means “to eat”) and means “meal” in Persian.
Khorech generally refers to different stews in Iranian cuisine, and is often served with polo (rice). In Iranian gastronomy, there are many different khoresh with various ingredients. You can find vegetarian, high or low calories khoresh.
Iranian stews are often flavored with saffron to give a delicate and fragrant taste. In Iran, the most popular khoresh are khorech gheimeh (or gheymeh), khorech ghormeh sabzi and khorech fessendjan.
Khoresh for all tastes !
- khoresh ghormeh sabzi: stew of fresh herbs and meat (usually lamb)
- khoresh fesenjan: pomegranate and walnut stew
- Khoresh bademjan : eggplants stew
- khoresht aloo: prune stew
- khoresht aloo esfenaj: prune and spinach stew
- khoresh bamieh: okra stew
- khoresh bamieh lapeh: okra and yellow split peas stew
- khoresh beh: quince stew
- khoresh havij: carrot stew the
- khoresht hadoo: zucchini stew
- khoresht gharch: mushroom stew
- khoresh gheimeh: yellow split pea stew
- khoresht kangar: artichoke stew
- khoresh karafs: celery stew
- khoresht loobia sabz: green bean stew
- khoresh reevaas: rhubarb stew
Make your own iranian Khoresh at home !
Dont hesitate no more ! Choose your favorite Khoresh on the list above, buy all the ingredients you would need and let’s cook it yourself ! Making an iranian khoresh is easy as long as you make it with love and that you’re patient enough to let it simmer for several hours !
Follow all of our Khoresh recipes and everything will be fine ;).